As part of our participation in The Green Blue Sustainability Challenge, we have outlined 5 top tips for sustainable boating! You can follow these tips to join us in trying to protect the areas where we sail.
- Use reusable water bottles in order to reduce waste and prevent littering. We use reusable water bottles at all of our training and race sessions and make sure that we’ve tied them to the boats to stop them falling out in the event of any hairy capsize moments.
- Clean, Check and Dry all of your kit and your boats before and after sailing at a different venue. At EUSC we abide by the Clean, Check, Dry system whenever we travel to sailing events or transport boats between lakes in order to prevent the spread of invasive, non-native species.
- Save fuel by driving not driving at excessive speeds in the powerboats. Driving at slower speeds will not only help to conserve fuel (and money), but will also reduce the disturbance for local wildlife.
- Use a funnel or safety fill nozzle to prevent spillages when refueling RIBs. In case of spills, make sure that you have a spill kit handy and that all RIB users how to use it.
- When cleaning your boat or kit, make sure that you’re using environmentally friendly cleaners. We know your wetsuits can get pretty toxic but that doesn’t mean that the cleaners that you use have to be too!